Transforming the health of humanity
Infectious diseases are one of the greatest threats to mankind – evolving, spreading and disproportionately affecting the most vulnerable. Each year, they account for 15% of all deaths worldwide.1 In fact, six of the top 10 threats to global public health in 2019 were related to infectious diseases.2 This has never been more apparent than with the COVID-19 pandemic, which has caused a major global public health crisis, affecting billions of people, directly or indirectly, worldwide. All of these factors show that the world urgently needs solutions to help combat infectious diseases.
Through science and innovation, we aim to deliver an end-to-end approach to prevent, treat and cure infectious diseases. Our efforts are focused on tackling the most complex infectious diseases, finding the right paths of intervention, and making sure they reach those in need. We have an ambitious goal—to ensure a future where we can prevent the spread of infectious diseases and eliminate the burdens they place on global health.
We envision a world where:
- The world is no longer threatened by the COVID-19 pandemic or potential future pandemics
- Our medicines and vaccines guard people from the dangers of infectious diseases during all stages of life, from infancy to adolescence through adulthood
- Innovation in treatment and prevention help to make HIV history
- A functional cure* has eliminated patients’ life-long struggle with chronic hepatitis B
- The most vulnerable are protected against the threat of respiratory and bacterial infections
*N.B. A functional cure for chronic hepatitis B is defined as complete loss of hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) and hepatitis B viral DNA from serum that is sustained for more than six months after cessation of treatment.
1 World Health Organization. Projections of mortality and causes of death, 2016 to 2060 – Global summary projections. Available at: https://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/projections/en/. Last accessed: November 2019.
2 World Health Organization. Ten threats to global health in 2019. Available at: https://www.who.int/vietnam/news/feature-stories/detail/ten-threats-to-global-health-in-2019. Last accessed: November 2019.