Data Science and Digital Health are among the most exciting revolutions of our time, transforming how we discover, develop and deliver new therapies and vaccines to advance our ultimate mission of bringing transformative medicines to people around the world.
We are using Data Science and Digital Health to reimagine the discovery and development of medicines and advance our mission of bringing transformative medicines and vaccines to patients around the world. We take a differentiated approach that integrates Data Science and medical science across our portfolio. We are disciplined in picking the right problems in high-priority areas of our research and development (R&D) pipeline and determining the right datasets and analytical approaches to drive high-impact change to improve the lives of patients.
Where We are Today
Data Science and Digital Health are driving transformational impact across our R&D portfolio, end-to-end:
Our focus has been two-fold:
- First, prioritizing high-value projects in both discovery and development that are high-priority for addressing patient needs and where Data Science and Digital Health can move the needle.
- Second, building critical foundations – platforms, external collaborations and talent that is ‘bilingual’’ in both ‘Data Science’ and ‘medical science.’
Each of these two elements is core to our success and to scaling Data Science and Digital Health across Janssen R&D and beyond.
We have carefully selected our applications to support high-priority projects across our R&D pipeline, from Discovery to Clinical Development:
- Generating artificial intelligence (AI)-driven, high-value biological insights and targets using rich, multi-modal data
- Reducing cycle time and improving NME quality using AI/machine learning (ML) by leveraging image analysis and other analytical data insights
- Clinical Development
- Leveraging AI/ML and Digital Health to enhance trial design for earlier disease detection, better endpoints and more effective patient stratification
- Applying real-world evidence (RWE) to augment regulatory submissions and drive external decision-making, for instance with external control arms
In support of our 100+ portfolio projects, the Data Science team at Janssen R&D is continually building upon our core foundations:
- Data & Regulatory-Grade Platform: We have built a first-of-its-kind, regulatory-grade data analytics platform that integrates and links diverse data sets ranging from pre-clinical and clinical to real-world data. Our rapidly expanding library of models and applications enables data liquidity, rapid analytics and insights generation to develop solutions for patients.
- External Ecosystem & Collaborations: We are actively engaged in the thriving Data Science ecosystem through 35+ active collaborations, equity investments and more. We seek out long-standing "win win win" relationships (patient, partner, Janssen) with the best scientists, investors, academic collaborators and entrepreneurs. We are agnostic to the source of innovation and endeavor to be a partner of choice, with the goal of leveraging unique capabilities and bringing the best ideas to scale.
- Bilingual Talent: We are looking for dedicated, humble, intellectually curious Data Scientists and data engineers who are – or seek to be – “bilingual” in medical science and Data Science to join our passionate community. Among our team's key differentiators is how Data Scientists and physician-scientists work as true partners in support of our joint mission to profoundly change the trajectory of health.